2017 was an amazing and memorable year for our little shop! Weddings, markets, new contracts, new customers, networking, events, awards and lots and lots of cake! We couldn’t have achieved what we did without the love and support from our community, local media and of course you! Our beautiful cake club!
It was all over in a bit of a blur so we’re putting the kettle on, grabbing a slice of cake and inviting you all to share in our recap of how boss the last 12 months have been…
It’s gotta be the highlight of our year! We were over the moon to be nominated for an award and to be shortlisted for two at the Merseyside Independent Business Award’s ‘Retailer of the Year’ and ‘Community Impact’ categories in October was WOW! To be honest whilst running a business it’s very rare that you actually have the time to think about what you’ve achieved or where you are at, you are constantly thinking about the next menu, the next efficiency, the next project, solving the next problem. To actually stop and take a treat night out with my fantastic team and give ourselves a well deserved pat on the back was so lovely!
To win one of the awards of the night, the first ever special Judges Award was unbelievable and a massive confidence boost to us all. The judges said the following about us:
We want to say a huge thanks to all of the local publications and bloggers for showing interest and supporting us with media coverage this year. Read all articles from Independent Liverpool, The Women’s Organisation, Liverpool Confidential, The Champion newspaper, The Liverpool Echo, Liverpool Life and My Planet Liverpool magazine over on our Media page… We have not and would not ever pay for publicity so to have so much media support is really appreciated thank you! 🙏
Big squishy thanks to all who got involved with our little acts of kindness at the shop this last year. Those who donated a few pennies and helped us to raise loads of money and promote lots of good causes.
Over the last 12 months, you’ve helped us to help…
– The Honeysuckle Team at Alder Hey who care for mothers that have lost babies. We did a Mother’s Day Raffle in collaboration with the amazing Steph @everybodymassage
– The Inn, a start up mental health charity that offers a walk in service so people can speak directly and immediately to a councilor; we sold kids monster hats for Halloween to promote the “monsters in your head” of people suffering from mental health issues and raised £211
– Friends of Moorside Park – we have raised £350 in our shop selling various crafts and cakes for FOMP throughout the year
– Rescue Me Animal Sanctuary – we raised £120 for this local animal charity
– The Homeless Period: ongoing collection of sanitary products for homeless ladies in Liverpool, we’ve collected bags & bags!
– Our John climbed Ben Nevis and raised £600 for Crohns & Colitus UK
– Our Jim and 3 friends ran the London Marathon again this year, this time for Action Medical and the awesome foursome raised a whopping £5500
– Big Love Little Sista – I managed to spend some time at the end of this year volunteering for this charity once a week, working on a Sefton public health project bringing together women leaders with vulnerable young girls in order to inspire, be inspired and support, this is ongoing into 2018.
– Tom Harrison House who support veterans suffering from PTSD and addiction – we have so far raised £120 for this amazing charity and it’s our current nominated one so still time to support us supporting them!
St John’s Road Trader’s Christmas Party
What an amazing way to round off 2017!! What a brilliant night we had together 😊 Thank you so much to all who got involved and joined in the celebrations. We love St Johns Road and our Waterloo!
The party was a night that celebrated the lovely side of Christmas all together with our local community and residents… so many came for a festive a stroll down our wonderful road, made friends with new independent businesses and said hello to the REAL Santa! And a big thank you to all the live performers for creating such a magical atmosphere, feedback has been just brilliant! We can’t wait for the next one!
Just also want to take this opportunity to thank Dawn and Nick at Fern Marketing for all their help this year with my website and social media. They helped so much with redeveloping my website to take online orders at a point when I felt I was drowning a wee bit – they did a fantastic job and saved me so much time and anxiety and I’m so very grateful to them 😘
So here’s us raising a glass of bubbly to all of our community, residents and customers and wishing you all a wonderfully happy and healthy new year! We can’t wait to see you for more in 2018!!
Peace! Love! Cake!